Thursday 26 July 2012

A beach inside the sea?

In June 2012, we took a trip to Bakkhali, which is a sea-side resort in West Bengal. The look of the sea here was different from my other visits to the sea (Goa, Pondicherry). The color of the water is grey. As I walked up to the sea side, the whole atmosphere looked grey - the grey sand, the grey sea water and the grey skies. While I was looking at the sea (my favorite pastime), I noticed something strange. While I was expecting to see the sea waves continously forming inside the entire sea, I saw some areas where there were no waves at all. I showed it to my husband, he told me it was a sandbar. I found it amazing - a beach in the middle of the sea?

Next morning when I walked up to the sea side, I saw that the land inside the sea was much bigger. I saw some people walking up to the land. This looked very interesting. After sometime, when my husband joined me at the sea-side, I asked him if we could walk up to that place. Sea had receded a lot in the morning. And the water was below our knees in our entire walk up to the land. It was quite a feeling standing on an island inside the sea.

So I checked in the wikipedia.  A sandbar or a shoal is a somwehat linear landform within or extending into a water body, typically composed of sand, silt or pebbles (Refer shoal on wikipedia)


There is a piece of land with no waves



People standing on the linear land (sandbar)

Thursday Challenge(Symmetry here)

3 comments:

Would you like to leave a feedback comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...